Animal and insect pests are not the only threat to plants. They are also susceptible to diseases. However, for some ailments, there are kitchen brews that you can mix up to remedy problems that include fungal and noxious diseases and black spot and powdery mildew that you might want to try.
Tea has proven to be a great part of many kitchen brews used on plants for all sorts of reasons. It just so happens that Chamomile tea is a plant remedy against fungus and mildew. That’s because the tea has antibacterial and fungicidal properties that combat fungus and mildew. The kitchen brew is easy to mix and apply.
1. Place 16 chamomile tea bags or 2 cups of dried chamomile flowers into 2 quarts of water
2. Simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat and permit the brew to steep for several hours.
4. If you are using dried chamomile, strain the solution.
5. Use as a foliar spray to battle the diseases.
Other kitchen brews kitchen tonic that saves roses from black spot or powdery mildew includes baking soda, liquid or Murphy’s oil soap and water. Mix as follows:
· 2 teaspoons of baking soda.
· ½ a teaspoon of liquid soap or Murphy’s oil soap
· 2 quarts of water.
· Spray on roses.
It is said that the tonic protects roses for months.
Garlic is another ingredient for kitchen brews that battle all sorts of plant diseases including fungus, viral and bacterial diseases. The mixture for this remedy includes:
· Puree two cloves of garlic in a blender for 1 minute.
· Slowly add 1 quart of water and continue to blend for about 6 minutes.
· Strain the solution and add 1/8th teaspoon of liquid soap.
· Pour into a storage container and tightly cover.
· When ready, mix the garlic soup with 10 parts water and put into a spray bottle.
· Spray onto the top and undersides of the sick plants’ leaves.
Finally, an old trusted source of relief for plants can be found in your medicine cabinet. It’s aspirin and it has proven ideal to combat fungus.
· Dissolve two 325 milligrams each of uncoated aspirin in 1 quart of water.
· Use as a foliar spray to combat black spot, powdery mildew and rust.