Spring is here and summer is just around the corner. You know what that means. All sorts of bugs will be invading your little estate. Of course, there are a number of ways to rid your property of
these pests. One way is to use commercial products you find in stores.
Many of these products use N, N-Diethyl-m-toluamide, also known as DEET. The substance is meant to repel bugs, not kill them and is used by about one-third of the U.S. population per year.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approves the use of DEET. However, it is known to irritate your eyes and to cause rashes, soreness, or blisters when used on the skin. It has also been associated with neurological problems. There have been at least 18 different cases of children suffering adverse neurological issues and two adults have died due to using DEET. It also has a negative effect on wildlife. For example, it is toxic to birds.
As an alternative, many people in the know suggest that you concoct natural bug spray yourself. It is inexpensive and since it is natural there are no issues with using it. It takes just a few minutes to mix up and can be based on what you already have available.
Essential Oils As A Bug Repellent
Essential oils are ideal as a natural bug spray ingredient. These can include Citronella, Clove, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Cajuput, Eucalyptus, Cedar, Catnip, Geranium, Lavender, and Mint. All of these ingredients have insect and mosquito repelling benefits. You can use a total of 100 drops of an essential oil mixed with various other oils. If you don’t have a particular oil on hand, you can leave it out or use a mixture of the other oils in its place.
Homemade Natural Bug Spray Ingredients
• 30 drops of geranium essential oil
• 30 drops of citronella essential oil
• 20 drops of lemon eucalyptus essential oil
• 20 drops of lavender essential oil
• 10 drops of rosemary essential oil
• 1 tablespoon of vodka or rubbing alcohol
• ½ cup of natural witch hazel
• ½ cup of water or vinegar
• 1 teaspoon of vegetable glycerin (optional)
Homemade Natural Bug Spray Instructions
1. Place essential oils in a glass spray bottle.
2. Add vodka or alcohol and shake well.
3. Pour in witch hazel and shake.
4. Add ½ teaspoon of vegetable glycerin if desired. Although it is not necessary, it helps keep all the other ingredients combined.
5. Add water and shake again.
6. Shake before each use because the oils and water will naturally separate over time.
(Next time: bug spray recipe variations)